We desire that each person coming into contact with this global ministry will:
- Accept Jesus Christ as their personal Savior
- Grow in their faith and Christian character development
- Establish the priorities of prayer, Bible study, and Christian fellowship while associating with a local church
- Devote their lives in service to our Lord Jesus at home and abroad
We will continue to emphasize ministries to youth.
Greg Smith Chairman
Rick Parkinson Vice Chairman
Greg Mercier Secretary
Terry Scranton Treasurer
Statement of Belief
We believe in one God eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
We believe that Jesus Christ was begotten by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, and is true God and true man.
We believe that man was created in the image of God; that he sinned, and thereby incurred not only physical death but also spiritual death, which is separation from God; and that all human beings are born with a sinful nature, and in the case of those who reach moral responsibility become sinners in thought, word, and deed.
We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, as a representative and substitutionary sacrifice; and that all who believe in Him are justified on the grounds of His shed blood.
We believe in the resurrection of the crucified body of our Lord, in His ascension to Heaven, in His present life there for us, as High Priest and Advocate.
We believe in “that blessed hope,” the personal, pre-millennial, and imminent return of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
We believe that all who receive by faith the Lord Jesus Christ are born again of the Holy Spirit and, thereby, become children of God.
We believe in the bodily resurrection of the just and unjust, the everlasting blessedness of the saved, and the everlasting, conscious punishment of the lost.
We believe in the great commission which our Lord has given to His Church to evangelize the world, and that this evangelization is the great mission of the Church.
In 1888, two businessmen named Austin Moore and Hiram Smith purchased thousands of acres of timberland in Tulare County for the purpose of logging the giant redwood groves. After forming the Kings River Lumber Company, they began the construction of two saw mills and a wooden flume, connecting the mills with their lumberyard in the valley town of Sanger. After several years of operation, the Kings River Lumber Company met with financial difficulties. On October 15, 1894, the company was reorganized and became the Sanger Lumber Company. With the reorganization came an expansion into the mountain area known as Converse Basin. Although the logging operation was large and involved at Converse, the Sanger Lumber Company continued to lose money. The owners decided to sell the company.
Among the several potential buyers of the Sanger Lumber Company was Ira Bennett. Bennett was the general manager for the American Lumber Company of Albuquerque, New Mexico. He did not, however, have the finances to purchase the company by himself. He turned to one of his former associates for financial backing: the wealthy Thomas Hume.
In 1905, they formed the Hume-Bennett Lumber Company. It quickly became apparent that the main mill would have to be moved for the lumber operation to be profitable. The new site for the mill was a grassy table called Long Meadow–four miles east of Converse Basin. After looking over the new area, it was decided that a dam and lake would be needed for log storage. The water from the nearby Ten Mile and Long Meadow creeks could then be used to transport cut timber down the existing flume with its new seventeen-mile extension.
Between the years of 1907 and 1912, the relationship between Thomas Hume and Ira Bennett deteriorated. Eventually, Ira Bennett was removed from his position. The rigors of business, lack of profits, and a devastating fire in 1917 that consumed over $500,000 worth of lumber, eventually forced the Hume-Bennett Lumber Company to close its mill doors. The operation concluded in 1924. The holdings of the Hume-Bennett Lumber Company were purchased by the federal government on April 8,1935. The selling price averaged $14.93 an acre.
In 1945, several hard-working, Christian men came together in the valley town of Dinuba to discuss plans for a Christian Bible camp. They began regular prayer meetings to seek God’s will and plan. On January 9, 1946, these men purchased 320 acres of lakeshore property, including the Hume Lake Hotel, store, service station, post office, 22 cottages, and 22 boats. In the summer of 1946, 670 campers attended Hume Lake Conferences and were attended by 15 volunteer staff. The vision, patience, and labor of these men, in response to the Holy Spirit, birthed Hume Lake Christian Camps.
The conference center grounds are dedicated to the glory of God and the proclaiming of the Kingdom of His Son, Jesus our Savior. Since that first summer of camping in 1946, more than a million young people and adults have been exposed to God’s love and wonderful plan for their lives.
The history of the area and development of the logging industry is told in several very interesting publications. Publications are:
There Were Giants in Those Days Victor E. Johnson
The High Sierra
The Mighty Sierra
They Felled the Redwoods